Monday, 6 February 2017

Hap's British Military Service History - 1942/47


 

This short blog has been put together as a history of Hap's service with the British Military during WW2 and in particular to lay out his service in India and Burma during the Imphal and Kohima campaigns.

This was put together after doing some research on his service unit, the Chindits, when I was looking for an example of his regimental badge.  I was working on finding the same thing for my Grandfather and my Dad who also served in the armed forces.  Regimental badges are worn on the cap when you play bagpipes and my hope is to have them so I can wear them on special occasions.  Still working on that search.

My Grandfather and Dad both have interesting service histories as well.  Grandpa Mulberry served with the Regina Rifles (being confirmed) in the mechanical corps in the Middle East during WW2 and my Dad joined the Navy in the last days of the Korean conflict and spent most of his naval career at sea traveling the world.  Grandpa taught mechanics to the locals in Iran, Iraq and the Persian Gulf states while Dad was a cook on board the HMS Ontario.

While I will continue to look into the history of both Grandpa Mulberry and my Dad I'm happy to say there has been quite a bit of information that has turned up on Hap.  In the following posts you will see some comprehensive information from the British Military records, web links to various parts of the story, photo records of what has been found and a summary of service spreadsheet gleaned from everything I've been able to read.


Some information may be open to interpretation, not everything is laid out clearly, but I've done my best to work through it.  You may come across information that doesn't add up, is contradictory or just doesn't seem to fit.  Let me know if you do and we can work some more on that aspect.

For those that are interested there is a Chindit Society web site (see Further Reading post) if you want to do some further reading, have a look if  you get some time.

Cheers

Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment